Building a hardware company on one of China’s niche segments
Matthieu David interviews Laurent Le Pen, Founder, and CEO of Omate. In this China business podcast, we learn about his company, how he managed to earn a million dollars on his Kickstarter campaign for the world’s first “truly smart” watch, and why his company made the switch to wearable as a service.
“Less means more” is the philosophy that Omate takes to heart when designing new products for their users. But how much more do we stand to gain by wearing an Omate smartwatch and how many more or fewer features do their products have compared to big brand smartwatches? Let’s find out!
Skip to the highlights:
- 0:09 Guest introduction and company history
- 13:50 The Snowball Effect – Omate’s initial marketing strategy
- 19:10 Manufacturing in China – a GoPro anecdote
- 32:14 The “Less is More” Philosophy – how user-friendly is an Omate smartwatch?
- 46:51 Replacing The Service Enabler – Can the virtual SIM card become a reality?
- 51:32 Raising Money From 500 Startups – was there a need to do that?
- 56:36 A Lesson in Marketing – The B2C2B model and why releasing limited edition products is a valuable marketing strategy
Make the new economic China Paradigm positive leverage for your business
Do not hesitate to reach out our project managers at email@example.com to get all answers to your questions