We interview Yael Farjun, who is present co-leader at Travel Massive and an experienced entrepreneur, who founded 2 companies in China’s travel industry. Both have now been shut down due to travel restrictions. In this episode, Yael shares her 10 years of experience in China’s travel industry, talking honestly about the ups and downs, challenges and achievements.
Growing a travel business in China has a learning curve that is different than growing a travel business in the West. So what are the pitfalls of growing a travel business in China? Where on the Chinese travel market should foreign travel entrepreneurs concentrate their efforts? How has the pandemic affected the travel industry in China vs the rest of the world? Find out the answers to these questions and more in this new China Paradigm podcast.
- 00:00 Intro
- 7:11 My Way PCM and ChinaClickGo – companies history
- 13:54 What is the size of the travel market in China?
- 18:57 Why has TripAdvisor failed to take over the Chinese travel market?
- 25:03 Yael Farjun’s thoughts on the flash sale approach targeting people living in China
- 29:54 What would Yael Farjun do differently if she were to be on the board of a travel company trying to get a share of the Chinese travel market?
- 41:58 What is the standard commission charged by intermediaries functioning in the travel industry?
- 49:59 2 Travel Industries – China vs the rest of the world
- 55:46 Who are some of the players in the Chinese travel industry that have disappeared because of the pandemic?
- 1:04:04 What travel businesses have strived during the pandemic in China?
- 1:06:50 Outro
A relevant episode
We believe, that China, with 20% of world population and as the second world economy, is impacting every single business, small to big. That is why it is a new paradigm. How does China impact your business is the ultimate question we will answer through those podcasts.
China paradigm is a China business podcast sponsored by Daxue Consulting where we interview successful entrepreneurs about their businesses in China. You can access all available episodes from the China paradigm Youtube page.