Rebranding of iconic Chinese cosmetic brands
Matthieu David interviews Matthieu Rochette-Schneider, Greater China General Manager at centdegrés. Building a brand in China might look like a very different process than the way brands are built in the West. But there are many businesses in China that were very fortunate to have the veteran brand builders from centdegrés on their side. They’ve been in China for more than a decade and if you ask anybody from centdegrés if they are a French agency or a Chinese agency you will get the inevitable response: “centdegrés is centdegrés”. Let’s find out why in this new China Paradigm interview.
- 0:15 Guest introduction
- 2:11 centdegrés – a company history
- 3:15 centdegrés – current company size in China
- 5:48 7 years in China – how many brands trust centdegrés their business?
- 7:47 An adventurous mind – branding came early to China thanks to centdegrés
- 9:19 China – a reasonable size of centdegrés
- 12:00 The centdegrés approach to branding
- 14:37 Managing the core of the business – Creativity
- 18:58 The centdegrés work process
- 24:02 Start and end point – the centdegrés brand building journey
- 27:22 The tools centdegrés provides their clients with to make them successful
- 29:58 How does centdegrés manage to stay competitive?
- 33:16 It’s never to early to start pitching ideas
- 36:19 Leveraging the heritage of China – examples of successful Chinese brands
- 42:40 Brand domination – is it China’s time to shine?
- 48:15 Case Study – what did centdegrés did for MG Mask?
- 53:27 Case Study – branding HAPSODE
- 54:32 Brands and politics don’t mix – setting up Chinese-Korean business link
- 56:35 Case Study – bringing Marvel to Sephora
- 1:00:00 What books have inspired Matthieu Rochette-Schneider in his career?
- 1:03:25 What does Matthieu Rochette-Schneider read to stay up to date with China?
- 1:05:00 What book or movie about China does Matthieu Rochette-Schneider recommend?
- 1:06:25 Should Matthieu Rochette-Schneider have extra time what other business would he pursue?
- 1:07:38 What unexpected success and failure has Matthieu Rochette-Schneider witnessed in China?
One relevant episode
We believe, that China, with 20% of world population and as the second world economy, is impacting every single business, small to big. That is why it is a new paradigm. How does China impact your business is the ultimate question we will answer through those podcasts.
China paradigm is a China business podcast sponsored by Daxue Consulting where we interview successful entrepreneurs about their businesses in China. You can access all available episodes from the China paradigm Youtube page.