Angel-investing in China with a 26% compound return
In this episode of China Paradigm, we interview Philip Beck. Philip Beck – 贝曦贤 is an Australian-born entrepreneur who’s been living and working in China since 2005. After 32 years across Asia-Pacific (1976-2008) as CEO and/or COO of publicly-listed international 4A’s media agencies and recruitment companies, Philip became a full-time Entrepreneur and Non-Executive Director in 2009. Philip Beck is a highly experienced angel-investor in China and a chairman & co-founder at Moojing Market Intelligence. In this new China Paradigm podcast we find out why Philip beck decided to move from Australia to China, what is his formula for good investments and how to stay away from potentially bad investments as well as why his SaaS Moojing is one of the best on the market in China. Stay tuned.
- 3:12 What made Australian Philip Beck establish his roots in China?
- 4:39 Why is life in China “7 times faster” than in Australia?
- 6:49 What is Philip Beck’s screening method for good investing?
- 13:15 In how many companies has Philip Beck invested in since 2009?
- 14:36 How does Philip Beck protect himself from bad investments?
- 18:14 Does Philip Beck belong to a pool of investors?
- 20:45 Why is Philip Beck involved in angel investing rather than real estate investing?
- 24:39 What is Philip Beck’s current rate of return on his investments?
- 27:14 What is Philip Beck’s focus after investing in a company?
- 29:30 How are the companies that Philip Beck is still invested in performing currently?
- 36:18 Should investors also be vetted by company founders?
- 41:36 In what business sectors do foreign entrepreneurs have a bigger chance of succeeding in China?
- 48:46 What do clients value most about Philip Beck’s non-executive involvement in their companies?
- 52:12 Are entrepreneurs late on making the decision of getting coaching for their businesses?
- 55:42 Breaking things – the process of growth for companies
- 57:55 Moojing Market Intelligence – how do they extract data from the marketplace?
- 1:04:51 Why are APIs less used than scrolling and crawling for data gathering in China?
- 1:06:25 Can Moojing be used as a tool by investors to make smart investments?
- 1:08:04 Being a SaaS does Moojing offer another layer of services to its users?
- 1:12:49 What is Philip Beck’s view on the evolution of advertising in China, in the past 10 years?
- 1:18:23 How does Philip Beck manage his time?
- 1:21:02 Philip Beck’s formula for saying “No”
- 1:23:12 Are to-do lists still a relevant way to approach business schedule?
A relevant episode
We believe, that China, with 20% of world population and as the second world economy, is impacting every single business, small to big. That is why it is a new paradigm. How does China impact your business is the ultimate question we will answer through those podcasts.
China paradigm is a China business podcast sponsored by Daxue Consulting where we interview successful entrepreneurs about their businesses in China. You can access all available episodes from the China paradigm Youtube page.