Charles Carrard, China General Manager of chez Boisset la Famille des Grands Vins, speaks with Matthieu David about opening a French restaurant in China and running wine business. In this episode of China Paradigm, Charles talks about his personal career path, the challenges of running restaurants in China and the ”New Retail“ wine business.
- 1:51 The size of the business
- 3:50 Charles Carrard’s personal career experience
- 8:23 The motivation of Charles Carrard to evolve so many businesses
- 9:53 What’s the main challenge of running restaurants
- 11:32 The challenges in the cost structure of running a restaurant
- 13:36 Is it difficult to follow the regulations as running a restaurant
- 16:19 How much did it cost to open a restaurant
- 18:00 How to attract people to the restaurant using the Internet and media
- 21:44 How to catch people’s eye when promoting a restaurant
- 23:42 Charles Carrard’s perspective of the current online and offline wine retail industry
- 30:48 What business format works the best for Charles Carrard in China
- 34:35 Charles Carrard explains why nobody can make money on selling wine online
- 39:38 Which part of the wine value chain in China can make the most money
- 43:11 Which platform would Charles Carrard suggest for wine sellers to use to contact the customer directly
- 44:45 How to get traffic on “word of mouth” WeChat platform
- 47:45 How to build a brand in China
- 51:08 Innovative formats in the Wine industry in China
- 53:35 The history of the brand
- 56:52 What does Charles Carrard think about Chinese wine
One relevant episode
We believe, that China, with 20% of world population and as the second world economy, is impacting every single business, small to big. That is why it is a new paradigm. How does China impact your business is the ultimate question we will answer through those podcasts.
China paradigm is a China business podcast sponsored by Daxue Consulting where we interview successful entrepreneurs about their businesses in China. You can access all available episodes from the China paradigm Youtube page.